Because of the strong connection between your oral health and your overall health, we take a comprehensive, preventive approach to dentistry that starts with your first visit. Here’s what you can expect at your first visit to our office.
- We will carefully review your medical history, including reviewing if you have any health issues that could contribute to your overall oral well-being. Any necessary radiographs will be taken using our digital x-rays which provide a better diagnostic image using the least amount of radiation.
- The doctor will thoroughly and carefully examine your mouth including a six-step screening that will evaluate: medical risk factors, head and neck/oral cancer, airway, bite, decay and restorations and periodontal (gum) disease. If you have any particular concerns or questions regarding your teeth or mouth the doctor will address those as well. Digital photographs may be taken of certain areas in your mouth.
- Should you need periodontal therapy, your teeth will be scaled and root planed, to remove plaque and calculus (tartar) both above and below the gum line. This will manage bacteria that destroy the gums and bony support for your teeth.
- Your hygienist will polish your teeth and customize a personal hygiene maintenance program, including recommendations on additional dental products which are appropriate for your particular needs. You will be instructed in the proper methods of tooth brushing, flossing, and adjunctive dental health devices.
- Finally, you will receive a comprehensive and individualized treatment plan based on your needs and wants and the doctor’s exam.
To schedule your first visit with Hiebert Smith Dental Group, please call our office.